Discover Biarritz, the Basque capital with its many activities.
Capital of the Basque Country, Biarritz is a city that lives to the rhythm of the ocean. Its traditions and folklore still alive make it a culturally rich destination. On the ocean side, on the nature side or on the culture side? It’s hard to choose!
Biarritz, Ocean side
Since the late 1950s, Biarritz has been recognised as one of the best surf spots in Europe. Surfers from all over the world tame the waves of the Atlantic and gather for major competitions, such as the Roxy Pro, the women’s world longboard championship held every year in July.
Many surf schools welcome you to the beaches of Biarritz, especially the one of La Côte des Basques, the historical cradle of the discipline, located a stone’s throw from the hotel residence Le Grand Large. Take advantage of your stay on the Basque coast to learn to master your board or deepen your practice. Beginners and advanced, adults, children and teenagers, let yourself be tempted by this trendy discipline that combines sport and the ocean.
In addition to surfing, beaches and ocean offer many water sports activities to discover with family or friends: you can choose according to your desires between bodyboard, scuba diving, swimming, canoeing, paddleboarding, jet skiing, kite surfing…
Biarritz, nature side
Between sea and mountains, the Basque Country offers many ideas for sports and nature activities.
To enjoy a holiday at the rhythm of the waves and tides, enjoy one of the resort’s 6 main sandy beaches: Miramar, Grande Plage, Port Vieux, Côte des Basques, Marbella and Milady.
La Grande Plage, Le Port Vieux and Milady are particularly suitable if you come as a family with children.
For their part, Marbella and the Basque Coast are highly appreciated by surfers for their wilderness and expanse.
Golf lovers can find themselves at the Golf de Biarritz le Phare: this 18-hole course (par 69; 5402 m) is located in the heart of the city, only a few minutes from our residence. Biarritz also has the Biarritz International Golf Training Centre, a 9-hole par 32 course facing the ocean.
The Basque Country and its flourishing nature lend themselves to all types of sporting activities: cycling and mountain biking, hiking, horse riding… lovers of holidays in the countryside will be delighted!
Do you want a 100% oxygen walk? Take the coastal path: from Bidart to Hendaye, 25 km of coastal path with breathtaking landscapes.
Finally, if you are passionate about playing, you can try Basque pelota, the king of sports in our region. The Le Grand Large residence has a pediment to train on.
Biarritz, cultural side
Biarritz and the Basque Country abound in beautiful places to discover: the sea museum, the rock of the Virgin Mary, the panoramic train of the Rhune or even Espelette and its chilli pepper… you will only want one thing, to return!
Biarritz, a city with a multifaceted cultural lifestyle
Biarritz is not only a beautiful beach with perfect waves, it is also a city rich in culture and heritage. During your stay at Le Grand Large, don’t miss the opportunity to visit the sea museum, the famous Biarritz lighthouse, or even the Villa Eugénie… here are the museums that we recommend you to visit:
- The Biarritz Historical Museum, which traces the history of the city: from a village turned towards whaling to a popular seaside resort on the Basque coast.
- The Planète Musée du Chocolat, which takes you through a world of delicacies where many workshops await you.
- The Museum of the Sea, which presents about fifty aquariums where several thousand species evolve, such as sharks, seals, rays and other fish.
- The Cité de l’Océan, which will help you better understand this natural environment through interactive activities, exhibitions, conferences…
- Asiatica: a Museum of Asian Art with a rich collection of works from India, Tibet, Nepal and China.
On the heritage side, here are the most emblematic sites, not to be missed:
- The Imperial Chapel, which was built in 1864 at the request of Eugénie, wife of Napoleon III. Let yourself be surprised by its amazing mosaics and architecture.
- The Biarritz Lighthouse, emblem of our establishment. Built in 1834 and 73 metres high, it is located a few minutes from our residence at Pointe Saint-Martin. Climb up its 248 steps to admire the ocean and the magnificent bay of Biarritz.
- The Rocher de la Vierge, symbol of Biarritz, is also a few metres from the residence. Take the footbridge and discover this site initiated by Napoleon III. From the top of the rock where a statue of the Virgin Mary stands, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the bay of Biarritz and the Basque coast as far as the Pyrenees.
- Villa Eugénie, an imperial summer residence built by Napoleon III for his wife Eugénie de Montijo. It has since been transformed into a palace.
The Basque Country and its folklore
Biarritz is the ideal starting point to explore the Basque Country. A land rich in discoveries, nestled between the Pyrenees and the Atlantic Ocean. A region rooted in its terroir, which has managed to protect its traditions and remain authentic, where the art of living and gastronomy reign supreme.
Here are our suggestions for a visit to the Basque Country:
- The Verna room, the largest underground room in Europe, an unusual place only 2 hours from Biarritz.
- The caves of Sare, more than 2 million years old and located 30 km from Biarritz, offer a bewitching journey of sounds and lights
- Bayonne, a city of Art and History, offers a typical Basque atmosphere with its half-timbered houses, fortifications and events.
- Espelette, a charming village famous for its chilli pepper.
- Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, a medieval city on the Way of Compostela, at the foot of the Pyrenees.
- The little train of La Rhune, authentic train à crémaillère, which transports passengers at an altitude of 905 metres to admire an exceptional panorama of the French and Spanish coasts, as well as the Pyrenees.
Spain very close by, to be discovered in a different way
During your holidays in the Basque Country, treat yourself to a change of scenery at the Spanish border, only 40 minutes by car from your hotel apartment.
On your own or as a group excursion from Biarritz, visit San Sebastian, explore La Concha and enjoy a break in a tapas bar. In Bilbao, discover the amazing Guggenheim Museum and its contemporary art collections. You can also visit Pamplona, particularly famous for its bullfighting festivals.